Kfar Duma Case – Articles, Videos, and Podcasts
Since the July 2015 arson attack on the Dawabshe family’s house in Kfar Duma, Honenu has assisted many Jews accused of involvement with the crime. For a selection of posts describing Honenu Attorneys’ representation of defendants and GSS interrogatees, see here. To familiarize our readers with the case, Honenu has gathered – see below – various articles, short videos, and podcasts on the subject. 1) Orian, the wife of Amiram Ben Uliel, tells her side in a 16 minute Zoom talk. A translation is provided. 2) Anatomy of a frame by Steve Rodan
3) What is the value of confessions made under torture? by Prof. Boaz Sangero 4) Duma, guilt by conjecture? by Dr. Martin Sherman 5) Duma: Coerced confessions through an American lens, by Nat Lewin, Attorney 6) INTO THE FRAY: Duma-one year (and three arson attacks) later, by Dr. Martin Sherman 7) INTO THE FRAY: Duma, dirty dancing & deeply disturbing detention, by Dr. Martin Sherman 8) 'Worth 1,000 words' Duma suspect reveals 'suicide attempt' scars, by Arutz Sheva Staff 9) Duma case: Findings don't match confession, by Arutz Sheva Staff 10) Should Democracies Use ‘Enhanced Interrogations’ On Its Own Citizens? by Itamar Ben Givir 11) Sexual Harassment by Shabak Interrogators and Minor’s Suicide Attempt Revealed in Duma Case, by David Israel 12) Father of tortured Israeli youth speaks out, by Yoni Kempinski & M. Sones
13) Green-lighting torture in Israel: A tragic, unifying court decision by Prof. Ari Zivotofsky
14) MK Rothman Threatens Million Shekel Defamation Suit Against JPost by David Israel
15) Conviction of Jew for murder of Palestinians could be wrongful by Sheri Oz
16) Unanswered questions about the Amiram ben Ulliel conviction by G. van Gelder
Hebrew videos pointing out problems with the case Credits go to: 1) Asir Zion – The reenactment of the crime is heavily criticized 2-6) “Inouim B’Mishpat Duma” – This is the series, "Exposing the Duma Blood Libel" 1) https://youtu.be/SsFS-6P5p7I 3 min 14 sec 2) https://youtu.be/Oefk4P-AjjQ 4 min 22 sec 3) https://youtu.be/Ox8vwaX8dFg 4 min 10 sec 4) https://youtu.be/sZI9QwA9BCs 2 min 6 sec 5) https://youtu.be/gNP4n2w4sY0 3 min 55 sec 6) https://youtu.be/5GzqgiyZQ9Y 2 min 25 sec
English summaries of the series, "Exposing the Duma Blood Libel", are at the links below.
Hebrew podcasts with English summaries
In June 2021, Honenu launched a weekly Hebrew-language podcast, HaMerdaf Aharei HaTzedek (In Pursuit of Justice). The first episodes delve deep into the Kfar Duma arson case (the arson attack occurred in 2015 on the night between Thursday, July 30 and Friday, July 31).
Episode 1: In the first episode, Honenu’s Ori Kirshenbaum hosted HaAretz journalist Chaim Levinson, and they discussed the investigation of the Kfar Duma arson and the torture – under the protection of the law – to which the interrogated detainees were subjected by the GSS. A summary of the first podcast, in English, is here. Links to the first episode – Hebrew only: YouTube, Episode 1 Spotify, Episode 1 Anchor, Episode 1 Episode 2: In the second episode, Honenu’s Ori Kirshenbaum hosted Attorney Yoram Sheftel, who represented Amiram Ben Uliel in the early stage of his trial. Sheftel explained why he left the Kfar Duma arson case and described the distortions of justice that he found in the handling of the case by the court throughout the trial. For example (all translation by Honenu): “… [T]he judicial system did not succeed in differentiating between terrorists of Fatah, Hamas, and the Islamic Jihad and what one could at most categorize ‘a hate crime’.” A summary of the second podcast, in English, is here. Links to the second episode – Hebrew only: YouTube, Episode 2 Spotify, Episode 2 Anchor, Episode 2 Episode 3: In the third episode, Honenu’s Ori Kirshenbaum hosted Professor Boaz Sangero, a leading authority in criminal law, who stated that “Israeli criminal law – not pleasant to say it – lags behind,” and addressed Amiram Ben Uliel’s conviction in the Kfar Duma arson case. A summary of the third podcast, in English, is here. Links to the third episode – Hebrew only: YouTube, Episode 3 Spotify, Episode 3 Anchor, Episode 3 Episode 4: In the fourth episode, Honenu’s Ori Kirshenbaum hosted Attorney Moshe Poleski, an expert in criminal law and Honenu’s Trial and Indictments Department Manager, who spoke on numerous topics, including the Kfar Duma arson case, human rights, and administrative orders. A summary of the fourth podcast, in English, is here. Links to the fourth episode – Hebrew only: YouTube, Episode 4 Spotify, Episode 4 Anchor, Episode 4