Search
  • dwaldman33

Court authorized administrative order for Ettinger

Sunday, September 20, 2015, 13:48 Early in the afternoon on Sunday, September 20, the Lod District Court authorized the administrative detention order issued to Meir Ettinger and ruled that he will stay in remand for half a year, as indicated in the order signed by Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon. In addition to authorizing the order for half a year, Judge Avraham Tal ruled that in two month’s time a follow-up deliberation will take place on the matter. Honenu attorney Yuval Zemer, who is representing Ettinger, said that he will study the decision and then file an appeal with the Supreme Court of Israel. Zemer also reported that neither he nor Ettinger were surprised by the court’s decision. “As we expected, the court authorized the request for an administrative order. To say that I am surprised would not be the truth, being as an Israeli court of law has never rejected a request to issue an administrative detention order.” Honenu attorney Yuval Zemer added that, “The decision is very unfortunate. From the initial reading of the decision it seemed that despite the fact that a large portion of our pleas had been accepted, and despite the fact that Mr. Ettinger has never been involved with a violent incident and has never violated any of the previous administrative orders that were issued to him, there was still a juristic framework sufficient to keep him under a detention order. As we have said in the past, this is a political detention designed to satisfy Israeli and world public opinion; it is not a detention which adheres to judicial norms. Whoever reads this decision and is acquainted with the evidence as I am, knows that from a judicial point of view there is no justification for this detention.”

0 views0 comments